Photos: (clockwise from top left):Heat Exchanger
Control Schematic, Heat Exchangers and Automation Panels,
Central Utility Plant Motor Control Centre and Automation
Panels, Air Handler Control Panels, Process Control Panels
Automation and Controls
Atkinson Engineering Inc. provides controls engineering services
for automation systems ranging from Building Automation, Laboratory
Controls to Industrial Process Automation. Designs include incorporating
proprietary systems controlling air handling and building environment
controls as well as design of complete building systems (heat exchange,
pumping, space temperature and humidity, building metering, air
handling unit and central utility plant controls) incorporating
standardized products integrated into the owners' existing DDC systems.
Laboratory control systems projects include controls for air volume
and temperature, fans, air handlers, fume and laminar flow hoods,
local exhaust and clean rooms. PLC technology has been utilized
for industrial systems to tie in field devices and process equipment
for controlling various industrial processes. Some examples of control
systems designed by Atkinson Engineering Inc. are:
- Hybrid variable volume dual duct air conditioning/outdoor air
ventilation systems and controls for large multi-use institutional
- Dual duct cooling/ventilation VAV box air controls with temperature,
occupancy and CO2 room sensors.
- Building metering combining electrical power measurement with
auxiliary chilled water, steam, city water and natural gas flow,
temperature and pressure measurement all tied into central utilities
- Glycol systems for both cooling and heating decoupled through
heat exchangers for winter heat reclaim on chilled water district
- Central plant district cooling controls for chillers, cooling
towers, winter free cooling heat exchanger, variable flow primary
pumping systems, network branch piping flow, temperature and pressure
metering and water treatment automation.
- Ventilation system controls for industrial plants and processes
utilizing both natural and mechanical exhaust systems.
- Custom designs for animal holding rooms, clean rooms, art studios,
biohazard labs, perchloric acid hoods.
- Laboratories with multiple fume hoods of both variable volume
and two-position airflow types.
- Volume/static pressure control of central fume exhaust manifold
with multiple exhaust fans on a common plenum.
- Critical space temperature, humidity and airflow controls for
x-ray, mass spectrometer and nuclear magnetic resonance equipment.
- Local exhaust systems for industrial and laboratory processes.